Upcoming CAN Activities:
The localities of Bermondsey and Rotherhithe form one Community Council area within Southwark.
- Together they have the highest proportion of both 25-29 year olds and 30-34 year olds in the borough.
- 63% of residents are White in this area which is above the borough average of 54%.
- The proportion of Asian/Asian British at 12% across the whole Community Council is above the borough and national average: the proportion of Black/African/Caribbean/Black British residents at 17% is below the borough average of 27%.
There are clear contrasts between South Bermondsey and neighbouring and more affluent Surrey Docks ward:
- In South Bermondsey 32.2% of residents are economically inactive (20.6% in Surrey Docks).
- 16.7% of residents in South Bermondsey are benefit claimants (only 8.3% in Surrey Docks).
- 52% in social rented accommodation in S.Bermondsey compared to 24% in Surrey Docks.
Southwark Council has prepared profiles for each Community Council area based on the 2011 census: here is the profile for Bermondsey and Rotherhithe.
in 2011, the housing stock breakdown in Bermondsey was as follows:
Total Households: 7,035
Owned: 1,540 - (21.89%)
Social Rent: 3,169 - (45.05%)
Private Rent: 2,096 - (29.79%)
Rent Free: 101 - (1.44%)
Shared Ownership: 129 - (1.83%)
Total Households: 5,556
Owned: 876 - (15.77%)
Social Rent: 3,717 - (66.9%)
Private Rent: 808 - (14.54%)
Rent Free: 80 - (1.44%)
Shared Ownership: 75 - (1.35%)
Total Households: 5,727
Owned: 1,212 - (21.16%)
Social Rent: 2,995 - (52.3%)
Private Rent: 1,247 - (21.77%)
Rent Free: 46 - (0.8%)
Shared Ownership: 227 - (3.96%)
How CAN we help? If...
- you have an idea for something you want to develop in your community;
- you want to know more about issues, activities, groups and networks in your area; or
- you are concerned about issues affecting your community;
then contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upcoming events and news for Bermondsey:
The following websites have great information about upcoming events in Bermondsey:
Southwark Council's "In My Area" website pages provide access to neighbourhood newsletters, local activities, meeting and consultations, and other associated local information.
Notes From Previous Meetings
Local partner groups and people engaged in CAN development discussions so far:
- Albion Street Community Charity
- Bede House Association
- Bermondsey Street Area Partnership
- Friends of Galleywall Nature Reserve
- Jacob’s Island Residents Assoc
- Riverside Ward Safer Neighbourhoods Panel
- Rotherhithe and Bermondsey Choral Society Community Choir
- STAMP (Shad Thames Area Management Partnership)
- Stevenson Crescent TRA
- Tissiba and Haddonfield TRA
- Marian Farrugia, your local Community Council Development Officer
Your local councilors:
The London Borough of Southwark is made up of 21 wards. Three councillors are elected from each ward, making a total of 63 councillors. The Labour party currently has 48 councillors, the Liberal Democrat party has 13 and the Conservative party has two.
These are the elected representatives that represent the people of Bermondsey. Get in touch with them if you have an issue that is affecting you or the area you live in. Some of them are even nice!
Further web resources: