Here at Southwark CAN we are recruiting community researchers to help us better understand what people think about their local community.
Purpose of volunteer role:
We want to find out what the needs are in different areas of the borough, what people care about and what issues they think are important. Community Researchers will interview members of their local community over a period of two to three months, gather their views on the local area and write a final report that will be used to stimulate conversations with local community councils.
Find out about Zena's experience of being a volunteer researcher here.
• Interviewing people in your local community
• Speaking to local organisations
• Desk-based research on the local community
• Writing reports
What you would gain from the volunteering opportunity:
• Learn about your local community
• Attend 2 training sessions providing skills in interviewing, active listening etc.
• Develop skills in community research and report writing
• Potential to develop skills in community organising
• Be a vital part of the Social Action Team at Community Southwark
• Meet people and make meaningful/trusted connections in your local area
• The potential to gain confidence in public speaking, and skills to represent your community
• Make a difference in your local area!
Skills you would need:
Ideally we would like community researchers to be living in Southwark. Researchers would need:
• Good listening and communication skills
• Confidence approaching and speaking to people
• Good organisational skills
• Good computer skills
• A commitment to carefully, accurately recording people’s views
• Some knowledge of the local area
• We will reimburse travel related to volunteering and we will also reimburse lunch expenses (of up to £5.00 - receipts required)
• You will be provided with a full volunteer induction
• You will be supported by the Social Action Team at Community Southwark
• We will discuss with you the days and times that you would like to carry out the volunteering role
• The Volunteer Community Researcher role will take place over 3 – 5 months
• The role will take place in your local community in Southwark
• We will be able to provide references after the role is completed
• There will be opportunities for you to take part in ongoing community activities after the role
• Community Southwark has full employer’s liability insurance which covers volunteers
If you are interested in this role please contact:
Clare Chamberlain, email@example.com, 020 7358 7020
And we will e-mail an application pack.
Closing date for applications: Ongoing