UPCOMING CAN ACTIVITIES:
Bermondsey and Rotherhithe share a Community Council area within Southwark. Both are areas of the borough that have seen huge amounts of change in recent years although each has very different communities.
- Together, Bermondsey & Rotherhithe have the highest proportion of both 25-29 year olds and 30-34 year olds in the borough at 16% and 13% respectively; peaking in Rotherhithe's Surrey Docks ward at 18.9% and 18.2%.
- Their proportion of White residents at 63% is above the borough average (of 54%).
- The proportion of Asian/Asian British at 12% is above the borough and national average, but the proportion of Black/African/Caribbean/Black British residents at 17% is below the borough average of 27%.
Surrey Docks ward continues to contrast with other parts of the borough:
- Only 20.6% of people in Surrey Docks are economically inactive, compared to an average of 25% across the community council area and a borough average of 27%.
- Only 8.3% in Surrey Docks are benefits claimants, compared to a community council area average of 13%.
- Only 24% in Surrey Docks are living in socially rented accommodation, whilst home ownership levels at 40% are among the highest in the borough.
Southwark Council has prepared profiles for each Community Council area based on the 2011 census: here is the profile for Bermondsey and Rotherhithe.
HOW CAN WE HELP? IF...
- you have an idea for something you want to develop in your community;
- you want to know more about issues, activities, groups and networks in your area; or
- you are concerned about issues affecting your community;
then contact email@example.com.
Upcoming events and news for Bermondsey and Rotherhithe
The following websites have great information about upcoming events in Bermondsey and Rotherhithe:
Southwark Council's "In My Area" website pages provide access to neighbourhood newsletter, local activities, meetings and consultations, and other associated local information.
Canada Water Masterplan Consultation - There are big changes planned for the Canada water area. Find out about the Canada Water Master plan here.
Notes from Previous Meetings
Local partner groups and people engaged in CAN development discussions so far:
- Albion Street Community Charity
- I Live In SE16
- Riverside Ward Safer Neighbourhoods Panel
- Rotherhithe and Bermondsey Choral Society Community Choir
- Marian Farrugia, your local Community Council Development Officer
Your local councilors
The London Borough of Southwark is made up of 21 wards. Three councillors are elected from each ward, making a total of 63 councillors. The Labour party currently has 48 councillors, the Liberal Democrat party has 13 and the Conservative party has two.
These are the elected representatives that represent the people of Rotherhithe. Get in touch with them if you have an issue that is affecting you or the area you live in. Some of them are even nice!
Further web resources
- London SE1 Community website
- Streetlife Rotherhithe
- Community Space in Rotherhithe
- Local Community Organisations