Where Next for Localism?
Developing a Southwark Community Response
The Localism Act 2011 provides vital rights and powers for communities, but do people know about it and have these powers been used?
You are invited to an evening workshop to help put together a Southwark Response to the current Commission on localism.
If you have experience or knowledge that could help inform a Southwark-wide community view on the Localism Act, the powers it gives communities, and the responsibilities it brings – or if you want to find out more about these powers and how they have been used in Southwark - come and join us!
To RSVP click below!
LOCALISM ACT 2011
- Have you been involved in setting up a Neighbourhood Forum or forming a Neighbourhood Plan?
- Have you nominated local buildings as Assets of Community Value, or been involved in a subsequent purchase of an ACV?
- Have you considered using the Community Right to Challenge and take over running a local authority service?
- Have developers been consulting with you about their plans to develop sites local to you, before they’ve sought planning permission?
- Would you like to see local people playing a bigger part in deciding on and managing their neighbourhoods?
These, and other powers, are part of the Localism Act 2011 that was introduced to give communities a range of rights and powers in their relationship with their local authority; and which also placed specific responsibilities on local authorities in working with and engaging with local communities.
There has been much concern that local residents know little about these important legal powers that they have.
COMMISSION ON LOCALISM
A Commission has been set up looking at the future for Localism focusing upon three key themes:
- The Localism Act and Community Rights: What have been the successes, barriers and challenges?
- Devolution: How can we achieve greater ‘onward devolution’ and power to neighbourhoods?
- Civil Society and community infrastructure: What are the institutions, organisations and governance needed for the ‘Future of Localism’?
To find out more about the Localism Act why not have a read of our resources!?
1 Addington Sq
London SE5 0HF
Google map and directions