A conversation to enable residents in Rotherhithe to tell us what they think will work best for the Mayflower 2020 commemorations.
We are inviting you and other local people to come to the first ever focus group about the Mayflower 2020 commemorations in Rotherhithe. We need your help to plan what to do in the lead up to, and during the year itself.
The Mayflower was a Rotherhithe owned shop, built in Harwich in Essex. The Mayflower set sail for North America on about the 5th August 1620 from near the Mayflower pub in Rotherhithe. About 30 crew and 65 passengers joined the ship at Rotherhithe, and another 37 passengers joined when the Mayflower stopped over in Plymouth, Devon, on the way.
Eventually the Mayflower arrived in what is now the state of Massachusetts in November 1620, and after a lot of history (too long to condense here) is now a founding event for the proud nation of the United States of America.
- What do you already know about the Mayflower’s voyage? And what are your reactions to what will most likely be completely new information about Rotherhithe’s key role in this?
- What kind of information would be most useful and interesting? And in what format?
- How should we pitch the story of the Mayflower? There is already a very well thought through and researched “story” based on the big ideas that prompted the voyage – freedom, independence, liberty, discovery, the creation of a new world. Do these big ideas resonate with you, and create a sense of a link between your live in Rotherhithe now, and the people from Rotherhithe back then?
- What kind of events will you want to take part in, such as fairs, church services, celebrations at the Mayflower pub, and why? When should these events take place, i.e. in the run up to 2020 as well as to mark key dates in 2020?
- Volunteering, what do you think of volunteering? have you ever volunteered? And would you be willing to be a Mayflower 2020 volunteer?
- If there was to be a Mayflower funding campaign, in addition to the official money being supplied, what should this be used for? Who should organise it?
- Rotherhithe is a key location for Mayflower commemorations, what do you think this will do for your understanding of Rotherhithe?
- How else can residents help?
- Do you want to help? If so how?
- Who else can we involve people from Rotherhithe?
If you wish to attend please RSVP using the contact details below.